JOB TITLE: WAREHOUSE MANAGER (Salaried Exempt)
Zone 7 is leading the farm to table movement in the Mid-Atlantic. We are a 100% local, farm-fresh distribution company connecting farms with restaurants, grocers and schools. If it’s produced in this region, we offer it; fruits, vegetables, herbs, meat, mushrooms, eggs, honey, cheese, value-added and grain products 52 week of the year.
Zone 7 is a fast-growing business; we started in 2008 with 10 farms & 10 customers and we now work with 116 farms and over 400 wholesale customers. We are growing the supply-side and pushing the envelope to make local food as accessible as the global supply chain. We now employ 25 staff, all of whom are passionate about farms and food! Most members of the Zone 7 team have farming or cooking experience. We all love food, and we care deeply about what we do and have a great time doing it. Furthermore, we conduct business with integrity and have earned the trust of our growers and customers.
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION:
We are looking for an individual that has industry experience, a proven track record in Warehouse Management, and is passionate about supporting local farms. The Warehouse Manager is responsible for managing all operations related to product receiving, quality and inventory management, order picking and shipping, and the safety and general care, cleaning, and maintenance of the Zone 7 warehouse and refrigeration units. This includes the hiring, performance review and development, discipline, firing, and oversight of all warehouse team members. A key part of the job is developing and refining systems that take Zone 7 to the next level and overseeing the implementation of these systems. The warehouse manager communicates and coordinates closely with other departmental managers, is a member of the Senior Management Team and reports directly to the COO.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Designs and oversees day-to-day business operations to ensure Safety, Quality and Efficiency.
- Supervises hiring, firing, discipline, performance assessment and development and annual review of Assistant Warehouse Manager and warehouse team members.
- Schedules the warehouse team efficiently to cover operating needs and ensure that the Manager’s own needs around work/life balance are met.
- The Warehouse Manager helps set and is accountable to meeting and exceeding metrics and budget goals for the warehouse department.
- Trains, supervises, and provides day-to-day guidance of warehouse team members, including the Assistant Warehouse Manager.
- Oversees receiving process for produce deliveries, which includes quality control and tracking of quantities ordered vs. quantities received.
- Maintains the standards and records laid out in the Zone 7 Food Safety Plan and updates as per industry needs. Trains all Zone 7 personnel in the Standard Operating Procedures outlined in the Food Safety Plan. Works with the COO and Supply Team to ensure that Zone 7 is compliant with all legal requirements for food safety. Works with the COO and Distribution Manager to ensure that Zone 7 is compliant with all OSHA requirements that pertain to our business.
- Oversees the organization and proper handling of the product to ensure accurate and efficient order picking, including rotating inventory (FIFO), quality control, maintaining the layout of the warehouse space, etc.
- Is responsible for the safety and general care, cleaning, and maintenance of Zone 7’s warehouse and infrastructure, including the hallways, receiving dock, loading areas, and refrigeration units.
- Communicates effectively with all of Zone 7’s team to ensure smooth operations that balance the needs of Zone 7, the warehouse team, our customers, and our farms to mutual benefit.
- Assesses team and individual team member morale and works to ensure high morale.
- Collaborates with the Supply and Sales Teams to maintain the accurate and up to date information regarding the flow of product through the Zone 7 system via VictualNet.
- Develops and refines warehouse systems and oversees the implementation of these systems to ensure success and excellence.
- Continuous improvement in all areas.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Performs other duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR THE JOB:
Post secondary school training or experience in the disciplines and skills required in supervising a warehouse.
Five or more years of experience working in a warehouse, perishable products preferred. Experience managing 2 to 10 staff. General knowledge of modern warehouse & inventory practices as well as computer-based inventory platforms. Willingness and ability to work long hours in the summer. Ability to prepare reports and maintain accurate records. Proficiency in Excel & have an aptitude to learn new software applications.
Good work ethic and team player. Able to regularly lift 50 lbs.
KEY COMPETENCIES: organization, interpersonal, communication, Computer, Excel, decision making and supervisory skills.
Salary and Benefits:
50,000 – $55,000.
2 weeks paid vacation and 6 paid sick days.