Business Development and Sales
South San Francisco, CA
At Plenty, we’re on a mission to give people in local communities everywhere access to the freshest, most amazing tasting produce possible. And to do so in a way that’s better for the planet.
The Sales Director will guide Plenty’s initial sales strategy and lead sales discussions with channel partners. As an early member of Plenty’s sales team, this will be an entrepreneurial position who can help to craft and form Plenty’s long term sales approach.
What You’ll Do
The Sales Director will lead Plenty’s sales strategy and execution with a focus on strategic retail accounts. As an early member of Plenty’s Sales & Business Development team, this will be an entrepreneurial position that help to craft and form Plenty’s long term sales strategy, get their hands dirty to execute in the short term, and build out a world class sales team over time. In this position you will:
- Leverage your retail sales experience to help define Plenty’s sales strategy including channel strategy, strategic account planning, and pricing
- Leverage your experience building and selling food brands to help the Plenty vision and story come alive for our retail customers
- Lead discussions with a wide range of customers including large strategic accounts and small local accounts
- Manage negotiation of trade spend, pricing, and other terms with support from the finance, marketing and business development teams
- Develop and maintain account plans outlining strategic and tactical efforts to grow sales
- Support the sales operations and account management team by providing guidance and input on development of key processes and metrics
- Generate market insights and share them internally to influence and lead components of our go to market strategy
- You have the ability to think strategically as well as to roll up your sleeves and execute at the tactical level
- You are a people person – you have the ability to forge strong relationships; to identify the influencers in the industry and build them into champions who will help achieve our goals.
- You have effective communication, consultative selling, and presentation skills.
- You have a passion for our mission and an ability to inspire others to join us in changing the world.
- Ability to work with data to develop and evolve strategies.
- You are a problem solver – you have excellent analytical skills and can navigate obstacles in a thoughtful and effective manner
- You can communicate, understand and analyze the implications of strategic growth decisions on the company including sales, finance, operations, and brand
- You have expertise identifying and negotiating partnerships in the food industry
- You are entrepreneurial in spirit
What We’re Looking For
- 6+ years of sales, business development, or strategy experience
- 2+ years of experience in retail food sales
- Prior experience managing cross-functional teams and negotiating
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal, and the ability to articulate a vision and strategy
- Prior experience in a fast-growing company
Plenty is here to change the way people eat, making extraordinary flavor and nutrition more available in a way that’s better for people and the planet. We build farms that can put craveable flavor first while delivering exceptional yields. And our produce is always pesticide-free and grown using less than 1% of the land and 5% of the water of outdoor farming.