The Common Market is a nonprofit, regional distributor that connects communities with good food from sustainable family farms. Our model builds an interdependent distribution network that links small and mid-scale producers who strive to produce safe, nutritious products, directly with institutions and communities that seek to implement food access and procurement practices that are socially responsible and environmentally sound. We envision a nation composed of vibrant regional food systems—where interdependent urban and rural communities thrive through relationships that build the health and wealth of all people.
In support of this work, we seek an outreach specialist to generate sales and institutional buyer relationships for The Common Market Mid-Atlantic region.
This role will build upon over a decade of operations in the region. With increased public awareness around the role of local food systems in building community food resiliency, this is an exciting time to step into a growing organization and help deliver critical capacity towards sales generation for regional family farms.
We are looking for an individual who is highly motivated, results-driven, passionate about community and sustainable food, in addition to having the professionalism and experience to succeed in a demanding role that is critical to the success of the organization. The ideal candidate is comfortable working outside the office environment, cold calling, and scheduling meetings or presentations at potential client’s offices, while communicating the value of local and regional food systems. We seek someone with a dynamic personality who is passionate about sales and marketing, interested in learning new sales techniques, and committed to building the case for a more sustainable food system.
The Local Food Systems Customer Outreach Specialist will work primarily in the field with periodic visits to our Mid-Atlantic office in Philadelphia, PA.
- Drive sales revenue. Establish, develop, and foster quality relationships with potential anchor institutions and community organizations across the Mid-Atlantic region.
- Provide key account management to high volume, mission-aligned buyers.
- Educate and advise potential customers on the benefits of incorporating local foods as part of anchor initiatives for regional economic development, corporate sustainability targets, and a benefit to communities, workplaces and local farms
- Network with current customers, trade groups, and institutional partners to identify new potential customers; schedule appointments and diligently follow up.
- Ensure proactive approach to maintain positive customer relations through ongoing communication, defining expectations, and working collaboratively with Common Market staff to find solutions to customers’ needs.
- Coordinate with Common Market Operations team to resolve customer problems and ensure high quality customer experience.
- Track outreach and other metrics; collect data about customer preferences.
- Regularly evaluate and make suggestions about how we can adapt to ensure a better customer experience and increase our impact on consumers and producers alike.
Skills & Experience
- 3-5 years of relationship management or sales/development experience within nonprofit, food distribution or institutional sectors
- Knowledge of sustainable agriculture, wellness, nutrition and/or local food systems, especially within the context of the Mid-Atlantic region
- Understanding of public and private procurement processes and the leverage points to drive change
- Experience working within diverse communities and/or demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Ability to work collaboratively across teams
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Excellent technical capabilities: Microsoft Office skills (PowerPoint and Excel) and ability to learn new technology quickly
- Understanding of supply chain management and/or inventory control systems is highly desirable
- Valid driver’s license; position requires frequent travel throughout the assigned territory
- Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19
● Salary commensurate with experience
● 2 weeks PTO plus 5 paid sick days (prorated)
● Comprehensive medical, dental and vision + company paid Life, AD&D and LTD insurance
● SIMPLE IRA retirement plan with a company match up to 3%
To apply please follow this link: https://apply.workable.com/the-common-market/j/4A759C9071/