The Farm Market General Manager is responsible for all aspects of front-of-house (FOH) operations of the
market, and all guest related activities. This includes FOH staff management and leadership; providing
unsurpassed hospitality and guest experience; the maintenance of facilities, equipment, and inventory; and
working in conjunction with the Food & Farm Director on the sales and financial performance of the market.
The Farm Market General Manager will directly supervise the all FOH personnel; and will support the
Executive Chef in supervising all back-of-house personnel to achieve strong results in each of these areas. The
Farm Market General Manager also works closely with the Food & Farm Director to create a cohesive
leadership team that supports the Philo Ridge Farm mission statement, service mission, and core values.
• Responsible for FOH staff management, leadership and development.
Responsible for the hiring, training, development and evaluation of FOH staff, including consistent leadership and mentorship to develop and grow the team.
Provide continuous communication, leadership and training to the team through daily staff line-ups, monthly team meetings and other formats as needed.
Schedule and monitor labor in an efficient, productive and profitable manner, including managing
FOH employee hours, approving and submitting to payroll.
Impartiality and consistently hold employees accountable to all company standards and practices,
evaluating and/or following disciplinary procedure when necessary.
Train employees on safety procedures, practice and enforce safe work behaviors.
With the support of the Food & Farm Director, maintain FOH employee records, including performance evaluations, disciplinary write-ups, hours worked, time off.
The Farm Market General Manager will be responsible for the FOH operations and administrations.
With the support of the Food & Farm Director and Market team, selection of all products and
merchandise for the Market; ordering of all Market products and merchandise.
Develop and maintain cash safe and accurate cash control systems.
Develop and maintain all stations work and protocols; opening and closing work.
Beverage program; including developing and maintaining a well-curated coffee, tea and non-alcoholic beverage program that is both dynamic and in keeping with the core values and mission of Philo
Ridge Farm; when permitting allows, develop beer and wine program. Oversee bar inventory and
Oversee the operations of market equipment such as the point of sale system, espresso/coffee
equipment, beverage dispensing system, refrigeration, and ice machine.
With the support of the Executive Chef, develop, implement and maintain a safety and sanitation
program (including Illness and Injury prevention program meetings, safety meetings, updates, etc.) in
compliance with the Vermont Department of Health food and OSHA safety regulations.
- The Farm Market General Manager will work collaboratively with the Food & Farm Director on the
market sales, budgets, and financials.
- Manage COGS, prime costs, and expense percentages to budget.With the support of the Food & Farm Director, The Farm Market General Manager will be responsible for overseeing event planning and execution.
- Oversee the scheduling and booking of events, including staffing for event and coordinating menu/food for the event with Executive Chef.
- The Farm Market General Manager will be responsible for actively demonstrating, teaching, and monitoring exceptional professionalism, guest services, and hospitality.
- Exemplify professionalism, a positive attitude, leadership, integrity, and service excellence.
- Direct team members in developing and strengthening relationships with our guests, vendors, and each other.
- Lead and train the team in providing consistently outstanding guest experience, including how to handle guest complaints, turning unsatisfied guests into satisfied guests, and making real-time service improvements.
- Celebrate the Philo Ridge Farm story. Speak with passion and knowledge about our food and products to all of the guests that visit the market.
- Responsible for regular meetings with chef regarding consistency in food quality, food costs and menu change and direction.
- The Farm Market General Manager will be responsible for other additional tasks and responsibilities as needed.
Skills & Experience
- 5-10 years of Market and/or Restaurant General Manager level experience.
- Flexibility and ability to think broadly: our business is a start-up with many future possibilities for
- Ability to effectively direct staff in a fast-paced environment, adapt to changing priorities and remain focused and calm under pressure.
- Have both front and back of the house skills and knowledge.
- Have industry knowledge and on top of current food and beverage trends.
- Strong communication, organization, and problem-solving skills.
- Proven ability to build and cultivate strong, positive relationships with guests, vendors, and team members.
- Driven by a commitment to creating excellent product and providing seamless service.
- Proficient in computer skills, including Microsoft Office products, POS systems, ChefTec or equivalent food costing software.
- Demonstrated skills in accounting, cost control, and financial analysis.
- Solid foundation of knowledge in food and market product, cooking, beer and wine, as well as beverage food pairing.
- Substantial experience in cash handling and point of sale system.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college preferred.
- Have a working knowledge of local liquor laws, health and safety standards and employee on the job injury reporting requirements.
- Physical and environmental requirements: continuous standing and occasional carrying of heavy loads; occasional environmental exposure to cold, heat and water.
- Must have valid Vermont Liquor Card, or obtain one within 30 days of employment.
- V alid drivers license.
- Minimum of two professional references.
Any additional information you would like candidates to share in addition to their resume and cover letter.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
Candidates should send a cover letter illustrating experience, resume, available start date, contact information,
and reference contact information to email@example.com. Qualified candidates will be contacted
directly. No phone calls please.
Why You Should Work With Us
Philo Ridge Farm is a 400-acre historic farm that brings together the rich cultural past of the region to develop
the local agricultural economy and respect the ecosystem. We strive to be a beautiful, functional farm at the
forefront of research, innovation, and conversation around our food. The property is used for a mixture of
activities and operations including: produce and flower production, a diversified livestock and haying
operation, and a growing food service and hospitality program. We are in our third year of production at the
farm and plan on expanding our operation soon to include an on-farm market, event space and processing
The on-farm market will provide a retail outlet for all that we grow and raise on our beautiful farm. We will
have a prepared foods counter, grass-fed butcher shop, a full-service cheese program, as well as sell farm-fresh
produce alongside grocery and specialty housewares that emphasize Vermont’s local artisans. Connected to
our market, we have a fully restored barn that will offer a range of educational workshops and events that we
hope will further the conversation around our food and provide fun and engaging activities for our
We believe in treating our employees, animals, and the soil with respect and care, and we strive to create a
supportive work environment, one that will encourage the exchange of ideas. We are looking for dedicated
employees who share in our values and are willing to help us build a productive and sustainable farm and farm
market for the local community. We believe that every employee helps to make Philo Ridge Farm successful.