The School is seeking a highly qualified and dynamic teacher who combines significant knowledge in agricultural, environmental and experiential education to lead the educational programming based at the 287-acre Fairfield Farm, an integral part of the Hotchkiss campus. This position will be available in August 2019, following the retirement of the incumbent.
A bachelor’s degree in a related field required; master’s or Ph.D. in a relevant field is preferred. Several years of teaching experience, ideally at the secondary level, is strongly preferred. The ideal candidate will be or will possess:
● a student-centered educator, skilled in discussion facilitation and experiential education
● a record of innovative and collaborative teaching and curriculum development, including leading hands-on, place-based, and experiential learning
● meaningful experience with agriculture or farming
● committed to improving their practice through peer observation
● effective in communicating orally and in writing
● dedicated to making positive contributions to the student experience both inside and outside the classroom, including in dorms, through the co-curricular program, and advising
Duties & Responsibilities:
● developing new and enhancing existing curricular and co-curricular programming that connect the academic and non-academic aspects of students’ lives with the Hotchkiss Farm.
● partnering with faculty to create curricular programs and long-term, place-based research projects at the Farm
● working closely with the Farm Manager to plan and execute the agricultural program and related educational initiatives
● running and coordinating two seasons of the Fairfield Farms Ecosystems and Adventure Team (FFEAT), a co-curricular program that engages 30 students for 2 hours/day after classes in the fall and spring
● co-creating (with the Farm Manager and Director of Dining Services) a Farm-based, credit-bearing elective course
● developing environmental themes related to the Farm across the school’s curriculum and team teaching course units with colleagues
● supporting and organizing the Farm components of new-student Orientation, Ecoday and other special programs at the Farm
● developing a student leadership curriculum at the Farm
● connecting the Farm to relevant and research-based regional, national and international programs that provide research opportunities for Hotchkiss students
● advising a student environmental club
● mentoring Farm interns and Farm staff in their roles as educators and program leaders related to the Farm
● supporting various public and community programs and events on the Farm
In addition, as a member of the faculty, the Farm Education Coordinator will be expected to participate in Hotchkiss community life through service in the residential, advising, and co-curricular programs.
Salary is competitive, commensurate with experience and education level, and includes year-round housing (including utilities) and meals in the dining hall when school is in session. Hotchkiss provides a comprehensive benefits package, which includes a variety of health insurance offerings, dental, vision, life, short- and long-term disability insurance offerings, HSA/FSA options, and retirement benefits through TIAA-CREF. Ample funding exists to support participation in professional conferences, workshops, summer study, and travel, as well as advanced degree work.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter with résumé/CV, a statement of teaching philosophy, relevant college and graduate school transcripts, and three references online at https://recruiting.ultipro.com/HOT1004HOTCH/JobBoard/4d8e81f7-e603-4a5c-8e0b-8635ed700c43/Opportunit…
The position will remain open until filled.
The essential functions and basic skills have been included. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate.
The Hotchkiss School does not discriminate on the basis of age, gender, religion, race, color, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, or national or ancestral origin in the administration of its educational policies, scholarship and loan programs, athletic and other School-administered programs, or in the administration of its hiring and employment practices.
The Hotchkiss School is a tobacco-free environment.