Driftaway Coffee is a profitable and growing eCommerce company that delivers freshly roasted coffee personalized to the taste of their customers. We want everyone to drink better coffee at home. We offer a coffee subscription service whereby customers receive freshly roasted coffee based on their taste profile. We are well-funded by our customers, and have been covered in various publications like The TODAY Show, Harper’s Bazaar, Huff Po, Boston Globe, and Inc. magazine. At Driftaway, fulfillment is the process of getting coffee the right coffee at the right time in the hands of the customer. This role has a direct responsibility for the quality and reliability of the service until each item has been delivered. We roast once a week on Friday mornings at a warehouse in Red Hook in Brooklyn. Most orders are fulfilled on Friday as well, with a small amount of daily fulfillment on other weekdays.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Fulfillment Manager is responsible for the operations in our warehouse facility where we ship product to our eCommerce customers. This role enhances customer experience through the management of the order fulfillment process and the optimization of packaging and shipping processes. This role blends direct team management (temp / contract) and analytics-based decision making. It requires a strong interest in logistics & shipping, supply chain management and process improvement.
- Take complete ownership of the order fulfillment process
- Lead the packaging team (On-board, train, manage and schedule)
- Supervision and direction of a warehouse team of ~6-10 people to meet fulfillment and order shipment goals.
- Setup and operation of automated packaging machinery.
- Scheduling and management of shifts on a weekly basis to ensure appropriate staffing levels.
- As needed – conducting a hiring process for additional staff members on warehouse team; responsible for achieving consensus with team on hire/fire decisions and implementing disciplinary actions when needed.
- Maintaining a pipeline of available workers to support additional needs during peak or growth periods.
- Prepare for roasting and packaging day
- Interface with data ops to prepare and print shipping labels, coffee labels, inventory reports.
- Confirm and anticipate inventory levels for green beans and various other packaging items.
- Measure key operations metrics, identify improvement opportunities and implement
- Tracking metrics and performance against goals; presenting in a consistent format and tracking over time to identify trends and anticipate issues.
- Continuously evaluating and improving processes to ensure the safety and proper treatment of the product as well as accuracy and efficiency of picking and shipping orders.
- Work closely with customer success to quickly resolve customer support issues
- Track unscanned packages, resend them if necessary.
- Manage supply inventory (e.g. packaging supplies) and procurement
- Maintaining inventory accuracy, availability and visibility, through proper storage and organization practices, as well as periodic counting. Reconciliation of physical and electronic inventory systems.
- Upkeep of physical warehouse plant to ensure safety and compliance as well as well-being of warehouse team.
- Experience in a process-oriented warehouse/fulfillment operation or similar environment; College Degree or equivalent combination of training and experience preferred.
- Experience managing hourly production team members; setting and enforcing policies.
- We are fast growing and energetic! The pace is fast and things change a lot so we expect you to roll with the punches.
- Experience making, packing, assembling a product with a strong focus on presentation and aesthetics.
- Knowledge of best practices in an assembly environment.
- Quantitative (basic math, excel) skills that enable you to create and track metrics and understand what meaningful metrics say about performance
- Communication skills: Clear, concise written and spoken English.
- Manage time effectively with limited supervision; well-organized and detail-oriented.
- Accurate record keeping and data management.
- Candidate should have knowledge and skill in Excel, shipping platforms & internet use capabilities.
- Individual must be a self-starter. This is not a task-based role.
- Knowledge of best practices with respect to inventory handling and organization
- Hourly paid, part-time, 20 to 30 hours per week
- Fixed times on Thursday (12pm to 7pm) and Friday (6am to 2pm)
- Weekday availability from 1pm to 5pm (Mon to Wed)