We are seeking a Director of Food for the New York Market, based in Manhattan. As the Director of Food, your primary goal is to ensure that our food is high quality, consistent, and relevant to our clientele every day. This is accomplished through your excellent partner and supplier management skills, your ability to flawlessly negotiate contracts and act as a collaborative member of the New York EAT Club Team. Your past experience shows you’ve already demonstrated an incredible ability to lead teams and will continue your passion for training and developing others as the Director of Food. You will report to the General Manager and work hand-in-hand with our local operations team as well as Food Merchandising, Sales, and Account Management.
You will bring creativity, strategic thinking and an understanding of the critical network of suppliers that drive the quality of our product!
- You are the strongest voice of the customer; anticipating our customer’s culinary expectations
- Strategically refreshing our dish portfolio by rotating in new dishes from partners over time
- Critically evaluating dish samples and making the call on whether they make the cut or not or need to be improved before they are customer-ready
VENDOR SOURCING & MANAGEMENT
- Leading the acquisition of food supply vendors
- Managing partnerships with caterers, co-packers and restaurants
- Partnership evaluation and engagement
- Negotiating partnership and supplier contracts
COLLABORATION WITH CORPORATE
- Represent the local market in all food meetings and coordination points – food portfolio decisions, menu planning, merchandising and promotional calendar planning and execution, new initiatives
- Stay in tune with customer feedback from Account Management and Member Services, push to address any food-related customer feedback
- Learn/understand menu planning process
- Ensure local execution of marketing/merchandising/promotional events
- Be ready to do whatever else is necessary to grow your business and serve your customers
- Minimum 5 years of managing others; preferably as the voice of the customer.
- Minimum 3 years of demonstrated partnership management and contract negotiation.
- Interest in food and food-based businesses a huge plus, but not absolutely required.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both with colleagues and with external partners/customers. You should be someone who people like and trust.
- Demonstrable interest in food – you will be around food much of the time and you will need to taste a lot of it, so you should like doing that. Culinary divas need not apply.
- You are analytical and like using data to drive decision-making. You are extremely comfortable with computers, spreadsheets, online tools, etc. Technophobes need not apply.
- You have an incredible sense of empathy in terms of deciding what our customers would like, both now and identifying future trends to stay relevant and engaged.
- Winning attitude – you don’t mind surprises, you like each day to be different, you’re good on your feet and are a problem solver.
- You’re willing to both be in the office and out in the field, whether with our food partners, with our operations team, or meeting with our customers.
Please send a cover letter that indicates that you’ve read this job description, have thought about it, and tells us why you are right for this job. Note that if you skip this step, your application will be deleted.