Blue Apron is seeking a bright, energetic, business-minded and self-motivated transactional attorney to join its rapidly growing Legal team. The ideal candidate has 5-8 years of proven complex supply chain contracts experience gained at a leading national law firm and a food manufacturer or consumer packaged goods (CPG) company. This position will be part of the Legal team’s commercial practice group which provides day-to-day support for the business’s contracting and commercial law needs, drafts and negotiates complex transaction agreements, and advises the business on a wide array of other commercial issues that arise from the operation of a large, fast-paced organization. The role will interface with key stakeholders of our Supply Chain business team to manage, negotiate and execute on a broad range of commercial initiatives and such team’s day-to-day operational needs and strategic priorities. This position is based in New York City at the company’s corporate headquarters in Soho.
ABOUT THE ROLE
- Managing, drafting and negotiating a variety of commercial agreements, including supplier, vendor, procurement, co-packer, distributor, reseller, requirements, outputs, contract manufacturing, processor, co-branding, confidentiality and other operational and commercial agreements related to Blue Apron’s food supply chain.
- Providing advice and counsel on all legal matters affecting the Supply Chain business team, in consultation with other members of the Legal team and outside counsel, as necessary.
- Leading or assisting the Legal team’s efforts in the preparation, implementation and refinement of appropriate forms, processes, policies and procedures with respect to the supply chain function.
- Identify legal training needs and requirements and lead the development of an effective and structured training program for our Supply Chain business team.
- Building close relationships with the business team and obtaining and maintaining a strong knowledge of the products and objectives of those operations.
- Managing and working with outside counsel in the supply chain function on an as-needed basis.
- Keeping abreast, and advising on potential business impact, of market trends, developing industry practices and proposed changes to related laws and regulations in the food supply chain industry.
- Supporting regulatory and supply chain compliance initiatives as they relate to the Supply Chain business team.
- Engaging in or leading various other Legal projects and duties as needed, including due diligence and related support on strategic transactions, from time to time.
- Providing substantive support for the rest of the Legal team on an as-needed basis.
Education and Experience
- At least 5-8 years of relevant commercial experience gained at a leading national law firm and a food manufacturer or CPG company, including at least 3 years of in-house experience.
- Extensive experience with nuanced commercial legal issues within the food supply chain and food procurement is a must.
- J.D. from a top law school with exceptional academic credentials.
- Must be admitted, active and in good standing with the New York State bar, or with another state bar and registered, or eligible to register, as in-house counsel with the State of New York.
Interpersonal Skills and Competencies
The successful candidate must:
- Be passionate about food and technology and energized by the challenges of serving a dynamic, hyper-growth company.
- Be extremely bright but also have an EQ that matches his or her IQ, and the ability to collaborate and engage effectively with all levels of employees, management and commercial business partners.
- Have exceptional contract drafting skills and be able to capture complex contractual concepts in a clear, concise and easy-to-understand manner.
- Be a strong and astute negotiator with impeccable judgment based on industry knowledge and experience.
- Have excellent communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Be detail-oriented, organized, efficient and resourceful with strong follow-through skills.
- Be highly analytical and have exceptional business and legal issue identification and problem-solving skills.
- Have strong business acumen and a practical, business-oriented approach to problem-solving and dispute resolution.
- Be able to effectively counsel our business teams by providing them with clear, concise and commercial advice, and creative solutions where necessary, on established timelines to meet their business needs.
- Be able to operate autonomously while being a team player who brings a positive, “can do” attitude to the workplace.
- Be able to simultaneously manage workloads, multiple client demands and shifting priorities within a fast-paced, rapidly evolving environment.
- Have a strong desire to learn the business and new areas of law and to function integrally as part of an interdisciplinary team.
- Be collegial, hard working, confident, a self-starter and have a passion for results.
SUBMIT: Qualified candidates please submit a resume, as well as a cover letter explaining your reasons for pursuing this opportunity and why you are the right candidate for this role and Blue Apron.