Position Overview and Organizational Summary
Farm Aid is seeking a full-time Cause Marketing Coordinator / Manager to join our small but mighty staff in Cambridge, MA and to contribute to the development and implementation of cause marketing and business development including brand and event sponsorships, as well as merchandise. Reporting to the Associate Director, responsible for revenue generation and brand marketing, this position also supports the development and implementation of food and culture programming and activities. The goal of this role is to advance and maximize Farm Aid’s revenue generation and brand impact, with a strong emphasis on the successful execution of its major annual revenue and awareness-raising event. We are looking for a creative, enthusiastic, mission-driven marketing professional with at least two years of experience, preferably 3-5, specifically in this area.
This is an exciting opportunity for creativity at the intersection of food and culture enterprises and the music business. Farm Aid is a national, mission-driven organization working to cultivate a vibrant, family farm-centered system of agriculture in America. Since 1985, Farm Aid has raised over $53 million to support programs that help farmers thrive, expand the reach of the Good Food Movement, take action to change the dominant system of industrial agriculture and promote food from family farms. The majority of Farm Aid’s revenue is earned through our annual festival and related activities.
Farm Aid recognizes that people gain skills through a variety of professional, personal, educational, and volunteer experiences. We encourage candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications below. If you believe you have the skills necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of this role, we encourage you to apply.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
Cause Marketing and Corporate Sponsorship (estimated to comprise 40% of effort):
1. Initiate and conduct market research to identify potential brand partners, sponsors, and new business opportunities in alignment with Farm Aid’s mission and culture; respond to inquiries; analyze and report on feasibility.
2. Engage in sales and cultivation of brand partner prospects.
3. Participate in the development of proposals, draft agreements, sponsorship decks, and other collateral, ensuring adherence to brand framework and guidelines.
4. Create and maintain tools and systems for tracking sponsor rights and fulfillment, and participate in the fulfillment of brand partner and sponsorship engagements.
5. Coordinate the development of success measures and surveys for assessment and evaluation of engagement.
Brand and Food & Culture Programming Support (estimated to comprise 25% of effort):
1. Support special projects and initiatives that hold potential for expanding Farm Aid’s reach and impact and revenue related to cause marketing and food and culture activities.
2. Prepare marketing materials and coordinate signage, branding and brand presence for HOMEGROWN properties.
3. Create content as needed to promote food and culture marketing and outreach efforts.
4. Support brand development and integration activities for Farm Aid’s assets and particularly for revenue generation activities.
Merchandise Operation (estimated to comprise 20% of effort):
1. Conduct market research for the development of festival merchandise that reflects Farm Aid’s mission, goals, and brand; support research and outreach for sourcing.
2. Coordinate the design process including soliciting designs, coordinating design submissions, project timelines, and overall coordination of approach to finalizing merchandise designs.
3. Coordinate and serve as point person for screen-printing (determine purchase numbers, sizes, design schemes/groups, etc.).
4. Support and serve as liaison to on-site merchandise and sales team at the festival venue.
5. Serve as the online merchandise operation coordinator, collaborating with development and online marketing staff to effectively post, update and maintain sales targets, especially in relation to fundraising campaigns.
6. Ensure strong customer-service orientation and timely fulfillment of merchandise orders, engaging the assistance of staff and external vendors as needed.
7. Develop and maintain effective tools to track sales, inventory, and record-keeping for accounting and evaluation purposes.
General and Festival (estimated to comprise 15% of effort):
1. Engage in planning and implementation of annual festival programming, and other special events as needed.
2. Compile reports and track budgets for related projects and events and participate as a member of the Revenue Team to help coordinate revenue generation activities across the organization in collaboration with FA staff.
3. Reconcile sponsorship and earned revenue records with official finance department records.
4. Assess and participate in clarification and development of operations, processes and protocols for cause marketing activities.
5. Participate in staff meetings, reviews, planning retreats, and other related activities in support of organizational goals.
6. Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in related field and at least 2 years of specific experience (3-5 preferred) in corporate social responsibility, cause-marketing, business development, and/or not for profit brand development.
• Interest and desire to contribute to cultural change, promoting family farm food, and/or some aspect of agriculture or related environmental and social justice fields.
• Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills for articulating the organization’s mission, need and opportunities with clarity and enthusiasm, and for providing compelling and engaging sponsor experiences.
• Demonstrated experience and excellence in customer service; ability to interact skillfully with a diversity of stakeholders.
• Experience with prospect research, proposal and report writing.
• Organized and detail-oriented, creative with a design eye, pro-active with effective prioritization skills.
• Demonstrated team player, with initiative and ability to work both independently and with others.
• Sound judgment in maintaining the confidentiality of propriety information.
• Resourcefulness, flexibility, humility, and a sense of humor.
• Experience with budget tracking, and technical proficiency using Microsoft Office (especially Excel), and CRM experience (Salesforce preferred).
• Willingness and flexibility to work as needed to meet deadlines and ability to travel as needed (5%-10%)
HOW TO APPLY:
If you possess many of these characteristics and qualifications and are excited about this opportunity, we’d love to hear from you! Early applications are strongly encouraged, as applications will be considered as they are received.
• Submit your application to email@example.com with “Cause Marketing” in the subject line. We encourage submissions by March 15, 2019, however, we may continue to accept applications beyond that date as needed. No calls, please.
• In your application, include the following: a cover letter indicating where you learned of this opportunity and highlighting your experience and skills relevant to the position and listed qualifications, a current resume, and a writing sample or example of relevant work.
• Candidates invited to compete for the position may be asked to complete sample projects.
• Job title and salary commensurate with experience, market rate, and organizational compensation framework.
Farm Aid is an equal opportunity employer and as such, we do not discriminate against any team member or candidate because of race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, or any other basis protected by law. We encourage all to apply because we believe a diversity of voices leads to better discussions, decisions, and outcomes for everyone.
For more information about Farm Aid, please visit www.farmaid.org