Recipe for Success The Category Merchant, Produce will form relationships with Farms (existing partnerships as well as source new farms) in order to develop and manage the strategic product assortment including placement, pricing, and promotion of the category. The Merchant will have the responsibility for the full sales, gross margin and establishment of market share within the overall goals set by the company. The ideal candidate will have a background as a Buyer or Merchant, have a passion food, is analytical and creative. An understanding of ecommerce would be helpful but not necessary.
- Has full P&L responsibility for assigned category
- Owns category assortment including SKU mix, design and seasonality
- Develops annual budget and forecast for product assortment
- Develops and implements strategic plans for product assortment within the category
- Interacts with vendors to develop sales plans, programs and promotions that meet both organizations’ goals and objectives
- Establishes retail pricing guidelines, gross profit, sales objectives, and program and inventory turn objectives to maximize profit potential in conjunction with the Annual Operating Plan.
- Sources new growers, and new farms in the search of innovative new products, ideas and promotions including the ability to get in/out of trends quickly
- Maintains ongoing data analysis of competitive pricing
- Optimizes sales and gross margin and the achievement of sales and gross margin budgets for the assigned category
- Keeps the DMM of Merchandising informed of progress, potentially controversial matters or far-reaching implications
- BS/BA with a specialization in business preferred
- Minimum six (6) years in a Buying or Merchandising role with some management experience
- Demonstrated working experience in marketing strategies, vendor and product negotiations, item and promotions
- Financial acumen and analytical skills a must
- Pass FreshDirect’s pre-employment testing: background check and drug test screening
- Must be experienced in food, grocery and/or consumables
- Deep understanding of the fresh category management and vendor management required
- Strategic thinker with proven ability to be creative, resourceful, pro-active and innovative
- Must be open-minded, able to switch priorities based on business needs and disciplined
- Excellent leadership, negotiating, and planning skills a must
- Strong writing, presentation, and communication skills
- Comfortable juggling and coordinating multiple projects across several key marketing channels simultaneously
- Experience working across business units to leverage resources and capabilities to accomplish company goals
WARNING: Our food is processed in a facility that does not contain people who are toxic, rude, disrespectful, arrogant, egotistical, self-promoting, inconsiderate, or mean-spirited.
Who is FreshDirect?
FreshDirect is a food tech company and the Northeast’s leading online fresh food grocer, delivering directly to customers throughout seven states, including the New York City and Philadelphia metropolitan areas, and the greater D.C. metropolitan area. FreshDirect is committed to sourcing the freshest and best-tasting meat, fish, produce, and specialty items through direct relationships with suppliers, growers, and farmers. In 2016, FreshDirect expanded its portfolio in NYC with the launch of FoodKick, an on-demand business that caters to the needs of urban dwellers with a curated selection of fresh food, alcohol, and essentials—all delivered within an hour. Launched in 2002, FreshDirect is a privately held company headquartered in Long Island City, NY. For more information, visit www.freshdirect.com or www.foodkick.com.
Why choose FreshDirect?
We are an innovative Food Technology company offering an environment where you can grow a career and feed your future and have fun while doing it! Great people deserve great benefits and we go above and beyond!
Wait, there’s more! Check out our #workperks:
- Working here is pretty much as cool as you’d imagine – lots of food, lots of energy, and a whole lot of happy hours.
- Flexible and generous PTO plan
- 20% discount on FreshDirect and FoodKick plus an employee at-cost food program (FD Market)
- Thirsty Thursdays, book club, monthly birthday breakfasts, and other happy hours
- Wellness programs like weekly meditation, yoga, and Zumba, and monthly manicures and massages
- Monthly Lunch & Learns covering things like “The Very Best Cheese and Wine”
- We have a 24-hour shuttle service that runs back and forth to the subway
- We offer up to $5000 per hire as a referral bonus
- Summer barbecues and annual company picnic for friends and family
Click to explore careers and life @ FreshDirect – https://tinyurl.com/Life-FreshDirect
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the Team member(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of individuals in this position. Position Descriptions may be subject to change as the needs of the organization change.
As an EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER, FreshDirect does not discriminate against applicants or employees because of their race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age religion, creed, marital status, veteran status, domestic violence victim status, familial status, or on any other basis prohibited by law. Furthermore, FreshDirect will not discriminate against any applicant or employee because he or she is disabled, a disabled veteran, or a veteran of the Vietnam era, provided he or she is qualified and meets the requirements established by FreshDirect for the job.