Overview of Position
We are looking for three (3) new dynamic team members to support brands and grow sales of Fair Trade Certified™ consumer packaged goods to increase our positive impact on farmers and workers in agricultural supply chains. As a Business Development Specialist, you will (a) manage and develop existing partnerships with top consumer package goods brands, (b) cultivate new partnerships, educating companies about the importance of Fair Trade, and helping them incorporate Fair Trade into their business, (c) help register new companies and their Fair Trade Certified products, and (d) work hand-in-hand with our supply chain and certification teams to ensure successful outcomes at FTC farms.
A good fit for the Specialist position is someone who:
• Believes deeply in our mission and loves the idea of bridging business strategy with sustainable development
• Communicates confidently and effectively with business partners
• Enjoys being a great customer service provider
• Is a self-starter and can work independently, learn quickly, and get projects done in an innovative, fast-paced and rapidly-changing environment
• Recognizes that getting things done means working in teams and playing well with others, so is a great listener, learner and communicator
Specific Responsibilities Include:
• Partner Acquisition:
• Identify new development opportunities and develop targeting strategies for potential new partners sourcing FTC ingredients.
• Drive the sales process from prospecting to close, which will include following up on leads and making formal presentations, communicating the business, social and environmental advantages of Fair Trade certification. Develop tools and materials as needed to pursue new partners.
• Support the onboarding of new partners and the launch of new FTC products. Assist partners to comply with Fair Trade USA guidelines and standards.
• Account Management:
• Support existing Fair Trade USA brand partners and Fair Trade suppliers on all day-to-day business needs, helping them to achieve their Fair Trade expansion goals and promote their Fair Trade Certified offerings.
• Work with the Fair Trade USA marketing department and our partners on promotions and tools to maximize consumer outreach.
• Ensure partners are kept up-to-date on all relevant news and activities.
• Work with the Certification team to resolve any data or reporting discrepancies.
• Help prepare and deliver producer profile and impact data to partners.
• Work with the CPG supply chain team to identify programs and initiatives that provide value to partners, including program development, education and training, and relevant information about challenges and opportunities for producers at origin.
• Ensure business partner information is accurate, complete and up to date. Maintain records of communications and activities in SalesForce (CRM database).
• Represent Fair Trade USA at industry and consumer trade shows, conferences and events both domestically and internationally.
• Participate in cross-functional projects and programs determined to be a priority for the organization and the consumer packaged goods category.
• Bachelor’s degree
• 2+ years of sales and/or account management experience in the food industry.
• For the BD Specialists in cocoa or tea, knowledge of those industries is desirable
• For the BD Specialist in private label, experience with grocery, private label or retail sectors is desirable, but not required
• Ability to think quickly: learn, adapt, and work well autonomously, as well with teams
• Excellent negotiation and communication skills
• Ability to inspire and motivate others
• Successful at identifying prospects, managing persistent outreach and developing positive relationships
• Creative problem solver with a passion for outstanding customer service
• Must be able to prioritize work effectively, problem solve and handle detail-oriented projects in a systematic and highly organized manner
• Be outcome-oriented
• Proficient computer/internet skills such as: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Box, Dropbox
• Prior experience working with a CRM system, such as Salesforce
Please submit your resume and cover letter via