WHO WE ARE
We believe food has the power to nourish, delight, and drive change. We’re building bridges to a plant-forward future by empowering omnivores to eat less meat and more veggies. We’re a young company, but our goal is nothing short of becoming the global leader in the meat+veg movement.
At Misfit Foods, we make products that are less meat rather than meatless—and less meat means more veggies, too! We launched our sausages: half-veggies + spices and half-humanely-raised chicken just over a year ago and strategically grew our distribution thoughtfully: Whole Foods (in DC, MD, PA, and VA), FreshDirect, Good Eggs, and Imperfect Foods. In early 2021, we launched ground beef: 40% veggies + spices and 60% grass-fed, pasture-raised beef. Sausages and ground beef are our first forays into transforming the meat aisle.
In March, we pitched our less-meat movement on Shark Tank to 4MM viewers. We’re excited to carry this momentum into the next phase of our company’s life – and we hope you can be a part of it!
As our first marketing hire, you’ll be responsible for bringing our brand and mission to life. What are meat+veg products? Why do they matter? How do I cook with them? You’ll need to help our consumers answer all these questions, and in that pursuit, there’ll be a lot of room for you to use your creative energy. Succeeding in this role will be to quickly gain brand awareness through multiple channels by being creative, scrappy, and hyper ROI-focused to make sure efforts are driving impact and are genuinely engaging.
More specifically, here’s what we need you to do:
Own Digital and In-Store Marketing: Light up the internet—and store shelves!
- Educate consumers on how to use our products through culinary content and campaigns.
- Content development for social media and manage content calendars.
- Work closely with our culinary partners to bring the “wow” factor to our culinary content.
- Develop values-aligned partnerships (online and IRL) – e.g. giveaways and collabs.
- Lead field marketing in stores – managing and executing on displays, demos, and store team communication.
- Support creative decisions and execution to hone brand voice, aesthetic, and product positioning.
- Methodically track and analyze marketing efforts. From social engagement metrics to sales lift from in-store marketing, you will measure and present outcomes in order to recommend strategic changes accordingly.
Customer + Community: Listen, learn and build community. To us, marketing is a conversation, not a monologue.
- Collect customer feedback and make product recommendations based on that feedback.
- Lead engagement with our Odd Squad + community.
- Manage customer service and content for our digital storefront.
- Distill insights into actionable product and messaging changes.
All hands: As a small team there are many things we do together: from store calls and demos to product development tastings to having fun! With all challenges and opportunities, we respond together as a team.
Grow with Misfit: as Misfit grows we need to grow. This role will have a lot of opportunity for leadership including but not limited to the areas below:
- Brand and marketing strategy
- Managing product and retailer launches
- Sourcing and managing partners
WHO YOU ARE
You align with our team values:
- We walk the talk. You care deeply about fighting climate change and resonate with our product.
- We are owner-operators. No job is too small for you, you enjoy getting into stores and warehouses, you’re comfortable with uncertainty, and you want to drive the triple-bottom-line with human-centered, numbers-informed decisions.
- We care for the whole person. You’re committed to supporting your teammates as individuals and as professionals.
- We are perpetual students. You’re eager to listen, learn and grow with our customers, partners, and team, understanding that all of us are works in progress.
- Misfits welcome. You make unique, creative, and compelling work. You welcome individuality and diversity in the people around you!
You’ve got the passion and skills to crush it:
- Social media is second nature – You enjoy spending your creative energy and time on it (specifically IG, TikTok, email). Including being on the pulse of trends and making connections with like-minded creators, brands, influencers, recipe developers.
- Great communicator (Visually, Verbally, and in Writing)– You know how to bring your ideas to life on digital.
- Enjoy customer engagement – You enjoy connecting with people 1on1 and know how to ask the right questions to understand customers’ true preferences.
- Growth-oriented – excited to take on stretch opportunities and bring new skills into the team.
- Team Fundamentals: attention to detail, organized + professional communicator – you bring a solid foundation of professional skills in order to manage projects, move quickly, and accomplish tasks independently.
- 2+ years professional experience in brand and/or marketing
- Running and scaling field marketing programs
- Food/ CPG PR
COMPENSATION, START DATE, AND OTHER DETAILS
Application deadline: We’re accepting applications and interviewing on a rolling basis, so sooner is better.
Comp: Combination of salary + equity + benefits package commensurate with experience (salary range $50,000-70,000, please note that equity is a meaningful component to comp)
Start date: July 2021
Reports to: CEO
Location: Team is based in NYC but remote is possible. note: most of the team and external partners will be on east coast hours and store footprint is heavily concentrated on the east coast.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: “Brand Marketing Manager Application – [Your Name].” Please include:
- Your resume
- A brief paragraph describing why you would be a great fit for this role + our team
- Your favorite misfit in food and in life
- A portfolio of your previous social + content work