The Associate Community Programs Manager for the Bi-Rite Family of Businesses is a key role on the Marketing & Community team. Reporting to the Director of Marketing & Community, the Associate Programs Manager is responsible for implementing Bi-Rite’s Community Mission of empowering youth, building community, and creating resilience by managing our philanthropic giving, and community development and education programs. This person will cultivate relationships with key decision makers and non-profit neighbors in San Francisco and beyond to challenge the status quo and ensure the greatest good is achieved. A passion for food justice and awareness/sensitivity to community issues is required. Note: This position is with Bi-Rite, and is not affiliated with 18 Reasons.
- Drive Bi-Rite’s philanthropic giving program; manage donation budget and donation production, communicate with local community groups, conduct comprehensive impact analysis, and ensure meticulous data collection. Source and manage technology tools to streamline program execution. Collaborate with Bi-Rite financial team as needed. Ensure program and its operations follow all stated business financial needs and obligations.
- Identify and cultivate relationships with external executives and policy and decision makers to stay abreast of key issues (political and social). Advise Bi-Rite leadership on issues, make recommendations for the company’s position on issues and leverage insights to develop initiatives to champion the Bi-Rite point of view.
- Manage community development and education programs, including: identifying and initiating staff volunteering opportunities, broader youth education and outreach, and community-oriented events. Establish KPIs for each initiative and provide comprehensive quarterly impact analysis. Attend and manage events on-site.
- With direction and support of Marketing & Community Director, manage the part-time work of the office coordinator and community liaison(s). Provide team leadership, mentorship and supervision.
- Partner with People Team to support Bi-Rite’s commitment to staff equity and inclusion via provision of partner resources as needed.
- Strengthen Bi-Rite’s brand image and social impact marketing in collaboration with the Marketing Programs Manager. Write content highlighting Bi-Rite’s community initiatives.
- Minimum three years’ experience in community organizing and engagement, and/or corporate social responsibility and development work.
- Minimum two years’ experience in public affairs and executive management.
- Skilled in developing and maintaining relationships with members of the community, government agencies, non-profit organizations, media, business and industry.
- Experience in community-based program development, project management, and impact analysis.
- Experience planning and executing events.
- Experience supervising staff with specific ability to motivate action.
- Ability to communicate effectively and work collaboratively with all levels of management, staff and external individuals and groups. Demonstrates a service-oriented leadership style.
- Is a confident, proactive, diplomatic problem-solver, comfortable navigating difficult conversations.
- Passion for our community mission of “Empowering youth, Strengthening community, Creating resilience.”
- Knowledge of food systems: how does the food in our store and on our shelves tell stories of the people and places that made it (through a lens of land + labor, sustainability + justice).
Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Google Docs, and email platforms (e.g., Mailchimp). Experience with donation management software programs preferred.
Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent work experience) in public relations, communications, education, public affairs, sustainability or related area required.