The ACCOUNTING MANAGER will be a financial steward of a quickly expanding organization with a long-standing history in the local and sustainable agriculture industry. With the addition of a large footprint retail store, careful financial oversight is a key to our success. Our outsourced accounting is being replaced by a permanent, on-site department. Reporting directly to the COO, the ACCOUNTING MANAGER/CONTROLLER will work closely with the Retail Director (GM) and Farm Operations Manager as well as oversee all Accounting functions for the organization. This person is responsible for directing the fiscal functions of the corporation in accordance with GAAP and any industry regulations.
Duties and Responsibilities
Management and Teamwork
- Build Acounting Department in collaboration with COO
- Be a strategic partner in the development of the organization’s fiscal budgeting process.
- Create and manage systems to improve the collection and flow of financial data to drive better reports and business intelligence, always working to improve the organization’s decision-making tools.
- Assist in the evaluation the company’s long-term plans and new programs from a financial perspective.
- Direct and develop accounting department team.
- Provide ongoing financial coaching to managers within the company.
- Provide training to the managers of the company to support their successful budget and department management and reach financial goals.
- Implement and direct the organization’s annual budget, and benchmarking process with the farm’s Operations Manager and retail market’s General Manager.
- Provide reports, including 13 week rolling cashflow, monthly and weekly to communicate budget analysis and financial trends to the COO, Retail Director (GM), Farm Operations Manager, and top management.
- Provide departmental monthly P&L reports and co-lead monthly P&L meetings with leadership team
- Develop new metrics reporting as needed to ensure the company is on track to meet strategic goals.
- Analyze reports regularly to discover any potential financial red flags or missed opportunities.
- Work with the CEO and COO to create any needed financial documentation for the board, bank, or any other purpose as needed.
- Develop a deep understanding and working knowledge of the Market Point of Sale and insure it’s proper usesage in collaboration with General Manager.
- Create and manage systems for checks and balances in cash handling procedures and standard operating procedures regarding banking and deposits.
- Ensure that accounts payable are paid in a timely manner.
- Ensure accounts receivable are collected promptly.
- Maintain the chart of accounts and an orderly accounting filing system.
- Manage the company’s books in accordance with GAAP and assume responsibility for paying taxes and staying current with all accounting and reconciliation tasks.
- Manage outside lending and audit relationships.
Qualifications and Experience
- Affinity for local food and sustainable agriculture; a match for our values
- Ability to connect financial and operational objectives in a manner that engages management team
- Ability to create a series of adaptible systems for vertically intergrated business
- S. in Accounting/Finance
- MBA or CPA preferred
- Minimum 5 years as the Accounting Manager/Controller in a small but growing business, preferably with in the food and farming industry
- Proven track record in effective team management
- Current experience and proficiency with QuickBooks and Microsoft Excel
- Strong business acumen, with experience in strategic planning and operationalizing complex budgets
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Strong personal references regarding ethics and personal credibility
Compensation: Based on experience. Competitive base salary. Benefits include PTO, medical insurance, life insurance, and a stipend of food from the farm.
The duties, elements, responsibilities, skills, functions, experience, requirements, and conditions listed in this job description are representative only, and are not inclusive of all tasks an employee may be required to perform. The employer reserves the right to revise this job description at any time, and require employees to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of the business, competition, or work environment change.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration without discrimination because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, member or activity in local commission, the presence of disabilities, sexual orientation, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.